ReAct (Research Activation): Building Opportunities for the Future STEM Scientists in India
Apply for a Mentor Position
Application Now Closed
Apply for a Mentee Position
Application Now Closed
If you have applied for a mentor or mentee position, we will notify you of the results by end of May, 2022. Thank you for your interest!
To provide an opportunity for Indian undergraduate students in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) to embark on a journey of scientific discovery
To develop a scientific mindset and build capabilities to pursue research in STEM, especially those coming from educational organizations with limited research opportunities
To inculcate scientific temper in innovative young minds who will shape our world’s future
To set the stage for outstanding next-generation Indian scientists
To introduce students to the fundamentals of the scientific research process and theoretical principles applicable to their fields of interest
To enable learning of fundamentals of research methodology and to developing problem-solving skills
To expose students to globally-based mentors and scientists who will help them learn about different careers in science and embrace higher studies in STEM fields
To help students learn technical methods using computational tools and frugal home labs, and communicate their scientific endeavors to other scientists
WHO CAN BE A MENTEE?
- B.Sc. (End of 1st year) students
- Engineering students (End of 1st year)
- Open to all institutes, but preference will be given to students coming from universities with limited research opportunities.
WHO CAN BE A MENTOR?
- PhD scholars (4th year onwards) and Postdoctoral fellows with awareness of Indian higher education
- Will be selected based on motivation, time commitment, interest in interdisciplinary research, and understanding of scientific temperament
- Core-curriculum: Monthly webinars by established researchers across the globe on topics relevant to research initiation.
- Mentored led curriculum: Mentees will engage with dedicated mentors through multiple monthly modules of scientific research and communication
WHAT WILL YOU GAIN AS A MENTEE?
- Online mentoring by current scientists in your field of interest
- Monthly webinars on research initiation by leading experts
- Learn how to read, perform and communicate science
WHAT WILL YOU DO AS A MENTOR?
- Educate 2nd year undergraduate students in – (1) reading scientific literature, (2) designing scientific enquiry, and (3) scientific communication
- Time commitment: 3-4 hours a week
- MENTOR:MENTEE RATIO: Maximum of four mentees per mentor
- PROGRAM DURATION: 6 months
- PLATFORM: Virtual
- PROGRAM CALLS OPEN NOW TILL MARCH 31st
WHY IS THIS PROGRAM NEEDED?
Understanding of scientific research practices and hands-on research experiences gained during undergraduate studies enrich learning opportunities of students and encourage students to contribute and advance knowledge in their fields of interest, rather than being mere consumers of knowledge. Such active learning practices infuse young minds with a quest for knowledge, open doors to make an impact, and reinstate their desire to pursue higher studies.
ReAct is a research initiation program that will enable participating STEM undergraduates to develop an understanding of how the research process functions, relate to how scientists solve problems, gain deeper understanding of laboratory techniques, develop data analysis and interpretation skills, and gain the ability to apply their theoretical knowledge to practice.
ReAct will present an opportunity to develop meaningful mentoring relationships with scientists actively pursuing research. Our mentors will not only support creative endeavors of their mentees, mentors will also help mentees to think like a researcher and help them view challenges as opportunities for inquiring new questions, look at problems from fresh angles, and try different approaches to achieve their goals. Further, mentors will offer a global perspective on different STEM fields and help mentees explore non-traditional careers in science.
Finally, highly motivated and committed students excelling at ReAct will potentially have the opportunity to undertake research internships at renowned research laboratories across India.